Thursday, February 10, 2011

Excerpt From A Short Story Of Mine, "Majestic"

I came across a long beautiful dress while rummaging through some memorabilia, this material so majestic its time is priceless. It was my Grandmothers. Reminiscing always did the trick when I was not feeling quite myself. Something was different this time, shall I say an uneasy level of content. I knew it didn’t feeling quite right however I made no attempt to pull myself back. In all honesty neither did anyone else. I placed the dress on my bed, all sprawled out, and drew myself a nice hot bath. I live in the mountains of North Carolina in an old log cabin. Equipped with breath taking views however the selling point was the claw foot tub. Yes, what woman has not yearned for a claw foot tub to soak in at some point in their existence? The day my Husband and I looked at his house, I walked in this very bathroom and had a hallelujah moment. Here I stand now and everything is so bleak. I lit some candles, poured the lavender into the water watching the swirls of rainbows the oils made, caressing the water with my fingertips, breathing in the steam. I walked over to the mirror, staring at my naked self, swollen eyes having cried myself out of tears. Slipping into the burning water watching it overflow onto the floor, I felt numb, somehow cold as I lay there soaking.