My journey through life. Parenthood, Family, Friendships, Relationships, Course of my Studies and so on...
Friday, March 11, 2011
Family Tree
So, now we are welcoming in Spring Break. This is exciting see, thanks to my wonderful Father I get to journey with him as well as the kids to Arkansas and visit my Grandpa and even though my Grandma has past, maybe I will get to visit with her for a bit as well. For this I am greatly thankful. Family should be valued more than it is and even I am guilty of this. I don't know if it is in the genes but my family can so easily blow people off and not in the good entertaining way. My family can cut ties without even so much as a second thought and if they do take a moment to look back, they hide it well. My family tree is vast. A beautiful oak tree southern rooted twelve children per side, cousins upon cousins, second third and even fourth twice removed family members and yet where my tree sprouts leaves symbolizing each family member, my tree sits bare in a constant state of frozen winter. I know they are out there, deep within the roots waiting to sprout to a delightful spring, but with each year passing, they sit doormat. My family harbors to much grief, hurt, they don't know how to forgive and certainly don't forget. They carry grudges, and always want for you to conform to their liking. I am not saying that every family member I have fits this description, no...each member is different and I am certain each member of my family is capable of doing the opposite but they don't. Time and time again they prove to me how easily they can let family ties slip away. I always find myself asking why, or how? How do they allow this, how do I allow this. Why are some families so close through thick and thin and yet mine so distant and over what exactly?
The only people in my family who understand and not only understand but stick to their beliefs of a close family REGARDLESS of how much you may disapprove are my Father, my Step Mother, Grandpa and my Grandmother. I sit here at a pause for a moment, thinking about all the directions I could take that and all I can say is well, atleast I have them atleast my children have them. I can say I return the time necessary to keep that family tie tight and I will through thick and thin extend that on to my children because I will NEVER be that parent who can neglect talking to their own child, I do not care what they do, who they do it to, if I disapprove or not. They are my children, bottom line. No hurdle will be to high that we as a family can not clear it. Together! Any parent that can go without talking to their child, any parent that does not act as the parent, the mature responsible one and take the initiative a parent should to their child, any parent that allows any issue get in the way of any form of a relationship, well. I feel sad for them because one day they will reflect on all the time lost as appose to all the memories gained. Now as the child of such a parent, all you can do is try, make an attempt at a relationship and maybe you will always find your self making attempts. One day though that child will feel over extended because it should never be the child's responsibility to make the connection. The child should not have to be on a constant search for love and acceptance, the parent should offer this willingly. In the end my thoughts always go back to my family tree, all I can do is cherish the few who I have close to my heart.