So much has happened I can hardly keep up. Summer classes have started, everything seems off to a good start although college sometimes feels like your running the never ending marathon. Maybe in my case I feel like someone is chasing me because I am constantly paranoid that I have or will forget an assignment. I keep looking back, looking forward...watching my step as I take the longest strides physically possible. Ill let you know if I fall, however...failure is not an option!
I said goodbye to my Brother, probably for the next two years. We had a great visit. I love him so much and I am thankful I get to be apart of his life. I very much admire the man he is becoming and wish him the best of luck. Thankfully due to technology I will still get to video chat and skype with him...
Summer officially started for my Son. His end of the year party was very sweet. I find one of the hardest things for me as an aspiring Teacher will be growing to love and care for each child and then letting them go...but not just letting them go, knowing in your heart they are growing, moving on, learning and that as the Teacher I will play a large role in this. I know each and every year, this last day will be very near and dear to me...
Speaking of Teachers. I feel for all the Teachers out there right now. Especially those in New York. They just passed the law that 40 percent of Teachers yearly evaluations will be based solely on the testing scores of Students. At first I thought well, okay, this isn't so bad but after careful consideration and further research I realize how terrible this is. I never agreed with the idea but I could imagine living with this. Now I can only hope that Florida is smart enough to realize the dangers in evaluating Teachers based on the testing results of Students. Students they may not have had the whole year. Students whose parents lack the necessary discipline to implement study time. Students with behavioral issues. I started thinking as a Teacher. I plan to pour my heart out to each and every Student. I will dedicate my time and passion to each and every Student who walks through my door and yet I see it now, the parent who wont put in the same time. I will offer to tutor, I will offer to use my spare time, which we all know will be non existent...but I will offer my time to the student I see is struggling, but I know there will be those parents who can not or will not cooperate. Will this be the same parent who backs the proposal that Teachers be evaluated on the students test scores? I think we should all personally meet the people who back these proposals, meet with their families, children and see how well their children score, see how involved these parents are with their childrens education because I tell you what, Teachers are the guide, the leader to educating your children but it doesn't and shouldn't end their. Parents need to be held just as accountable for the education of your child. Since they aren't, what is a Teacher to do?