Monday, December 17, 2012

A Dream

When I drove up my heart started racing and I knew I had already fallen for your beauty. I stepped out of the car, drew in a slow breath of fresh country air and knew I was in love. I gathered myself, fixing my make up hoping that I appeared just as worthy as you appear to me. I strategically walked to the back door, greeting your current owner with a kind handshake. All the while I am wishing I could pet you, nestle your original wood flooring or stroke all the dark trim crown molding. I have this overwhelming sense of never wanting to part. I can easily see rushing home to make memories with my children rather than seeking to take them elsewhere away from smaller confinements and city life. Not too long after, the realtor and family stop in to also bask in your glorious beauty and charm. Many ooo's and ahhh's with giddy fingers and happy feet. Everyone around me is speaking and yet I seem to fall miles away enchanted by every crevice; every mark and touch of history within your seventy plus years of life. The people with me fade away and just like that my children float past me, soft music fills the room, my daughter grabs my hand as we begin dancing...twirling from room to room...laughing. We are playing hide and seek and you hide the children so well. I call to my kids, upstairs-I know that is where they are because I heard the pitter-patter of sweet feet-after lunch we head outside and pick fruits from the twenty some odd fruit trees on the property. A porch swing beckons me, I climb in feeling extraordinarily small in comparison to your enormous footage. I almost wonder am I deserving of such history, such wondrous beauty and then I remember that my children are always deserving and for them I would do anything. How thankful I would be to you, for allowing us to make new memories here under your shelter. If all should go well in the coming month, I promise you now that we would honor your age, cherish you and make certain you remain a healthy part of history. We would create magical memories-how could one not, when living in such serene peace.